Saturday, September 28, 2019

Conclusion

Through My Blue Eyes

An Odyssey on the TransAmerica Bicycle Trail

Conclusion



          One of the questions I was asked several times while on this journey was: “What makes you keep going?” and “Why don’t you give up?”  After all, I had severe cramps at times.  My knees hurt from pedaling so much.  My back hurt because I was stretched out too far on an oversized frame.  My rear end hurt, and I had nasty saddle sores from being in the saddle so long.  I was pedaling non-stop for three months straight.  I had to ride in the pouring rain, the scorching heat, and the bone-chilling cold.  I had to deal with mechanical issues with the bike from tire failure to pin hole flats.  I was constantly bitten by bugs and gnats.  I seldom had a comfortable night’s sleep.  The cops thought I was a bum and kicked me out of some “stealth” camping sites, and the list of difficulties goes on and on.  I won’t lie.  A bicycle tour is a challenge to me.  There are many difficulties one encounters along the road and crooked trail.  What kept me going was overcoming the difficulty, adversity, and conquering the challenge at hand.  Also, it was uplifting to learn that most people are good and will help you out in your time of need.  I got a boost of confidence knowing that if I can complete this bicycle journey, then I can tackle anything life throws my way.  The bicycle journey is a perfect metaphor for life.  You can’t give up, just like you can’t give up in life.  If you give up, you admit that life is too hard.  Then, you start a habit of saying, “I can’t.”  “I can’t do this.”  “I can’t do that.”  “This is too hard.”  “What’s the point?”  “I quit.”  Don’t quit my friends.  If I can, then you can.  If we all work together, then we all can.  We are all in this life together, so let us work together and help each other in times of need.  Let us seize the day with a can do attitude, make it happen, and truly live.  When we do this, no matter how difficult the situation, no matter the monkey wrench screwing with our mojo, we can overcome.  Shake it off, laugh about our adversity, and be grateful and thankful to God for our life and troubles.  We can slay the doubts that surface the questions: “What makes you keep going?” and “ Why don’t you give up?”  We keep going because we have faith that God will work all things together for His and our good.  We go because we love a challenge.  We don’t give up because we love the life God has given us, we love God, and we love others.  We want to do what we were created for.  We want to be who we were meant to be.  If we give up Satan gets the victory.  If we persevere to the end and overcome, to God be the glory.  Hallelujah and amen!

“Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong.”  1 Corinthians 16: 13

“I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me.”  Philippians 4: 13

“So we must not get tired of doing good, for we will reap at the proper time if we don’t give up.”  Galatians 6: 9

“Haven’t I commanded you: be strong and courageous?  Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  Joshua 1: 9

“Looking at them, Jesus said, ”With men it is impossible, but not with God, because all things are possible with God.”  Mark 10: 27

3 comments:

  1. What a journey! Praise God, for a wonderful experience that will surely keep you on pressing onward and forward the future- with so much hope, and love, and God's goodness in your heart! God bless you more, Mark!❤️🙏

    "Trust in the Lord, and do good;
    Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.

    Delight yourself also in the Lord,
    And He shall give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:3-4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing and doing this blog!👏

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Keep going, and never give up"!🙌

    ReplyDelete